Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Beatles 100 Greatest Songs: #94 "You Won't See Me"


A standout track when I was exposed to Rubber Soul in early elementary school. If you think about it, among the songwriters who contributed to this album, all of them seemed to have some pronounced lady issues (McCartney here, Lennon on "Run for Your Life," and Harrison on "Think for Yourself"). Rubber Soul indisputably marked a change in direction for the Beatles in more ways than one, all of them good. One of THE greatest pop/rock albums to come out of the 1960s, and I challenge anyone to convince me otherwise.

Funny thing to me that stands out with "You Won’t See Me." Ten years ago, thanks to the one and only time I ever purchased a CD series from Time-Life after some late-night TV-viewing, "Singers and Songwriters," I was exposed to a 1974 version of this song that to this day I think is fantastic. That cover of “You Won’t See Me” was done by none other than Canadian songstress Anne Murray, and it was actually a big hit way back when.

Much more recently, Dar Williams offered a splendid rendition on This Bird Has Flown – A 40th Anniversary Tribute to the Beatles' Rubber Soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home